St Joseph’s College runs a House System which is based on points earned.
There are four houses at St Joseph’s College:
Brophy Bees, Butler Sharks, Foley Falcons and Jordan Redbacks. Each house was named in 1960 in honour of four Brothers who gave outstanding service to the College.
The houses compete for the Adam Bryant Memorial House Competition Shield, awarded in memory of Adam, a student between 1982 - 1992 and former House Captain at SJC. Points are awarded for participation in a variety of activities and initiatives throughout the school year, these include swimming and athletics days, Edmund Rice Day, community service, academic competitions and more.
Brophy House was named after Brother John Benignus Brophy. He commenced teaching at the College in late 1935 and was a keen sportsman. He was a talented footballer, swimmer and diver. He used these skills as a school coach, particularly with the football team. He was universally liked and the school community was shocked to learn of his death in September 1941 aged 66. He was in his 49th year of his religious vocation. His footballers were known as "Broph's Boys". A proud New Zealander, Brother Brophy is represented by the silver fern on the House Shield.
Butler House is named after the first Principal of St Joseph's College in 1935, which was Brother Richard Xavier Butler. He remained Principal until the end of 1940 and was the driving force behind the College in those early years. Brother Butler enjoyed his Golden Jubilee celebrations at the College in the newly constructed dining hall. His term in office came to an end after significant building work concluded which transformed St Joseph's into a first class boarding college for boys. A 'Butler Scholarship' was instigated in his honour. Brother Butler was a "kind and sympathetic man" who strongly promoted justice and peace, Brother Butler is represented by the dove with an olive branch on the House Crest.
Brother Cornelius Placidus Foley became the new Principal in 1942. He was born in Ireland and arrived in Australia in 1920. He taught at a number of schools in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. He spent three years as principal of St Joseph's College Newtown. Unfortunately, he developed a kidney condition. His doctor ordered him to retire, which he did. He returned to Ireland and died there in 1953. Brother Foley was a scholar, "a man of wide learning", who stressed the importance of academic achievement. Br Foley is represented by the mortar board and scroll on the House Crest.
In 1941, Brother Francis Bertrand Jordan took over the Principal's role. He had been on the staff for a couple of years and was another key figure in the school's reconstruction towards a boarding school, which commenced that year. Unfortunately due to failing health, he was unable to continue the principalship into the following year. Jordan House is named after him. A proud Irishman, Brother Jordan is represented by the four leaf clover on the House Shield.