Late, unwell or on holiday
What to do if you aren't here

Late Pass

If a student arrives late (after 9.00am) he is to report to Reception. A late pass will be stamped into the Student Diary and this must be shown to the teacher along with a satisfactory explanation or parental note before entry to the class is granted. 

Day Pass

If a student must leave the school grounds during the day, a note from a parent/guardian must be brought to school or written in the student diary. Then the student can have a day pass filled out (collect them from College Reception).  Normally such a pass is then signed by the Year Level Coordinator. The student retains a section of the day pass for identification. Students returning to the College must sign in at Reception. As far as possible, we ask that appointments be made out of school hours.

Absence from School

School attendance is a high priority at St Joseph’s. Our duty of care demands that we know where students are during school hours, therefore the College must be informed of student absences before 10:00am on the day the student is absent. 
Our preferred method of notification is by SMS to 0427 687 117. This number can only be used for SMS messaging. It will not receive voice calls.  Mobile numbers must be registered with us to use this system.
The College will notify parents by an SMS on their mobile phones if students are absent or late to school without reason. This occurs each day starting at approximately 11:00am. Please ensure the College has your current mobile telephone numbers. 
In order to keep track of student movements, the following passes are required:

Students on Extended Leave 

When students are absent on holiday during regular school term:
parents need to write to the Principal providing details of why and when the student will be absent from school.  This correspondence will be acknowledged by the College 
St Joseph’s College teaching staff will not provide work for students who are absent from class and miss teaching/learning due to holidays taken in term time, unless organised weeks in advance
course outlines will be provided by the subject teacher and available through the school intranet if requested so that parents can deliver/arrange appropriate instruction through a tutor
it will be the responsibility of the student to arrange alternative dates for assessment task completion prior to his departure
if the student does not submit the assessment work prior to his departure, he may receive a grade NS (not submitted) for each task 
if the student is absent for a period longer than two weeks, the assessment of his work will be made on the tasks completed for the period of the semester he has been in attendance at school. These absences may have a detrimental effect in subject areas where sequential learning is important.

Sick Bay

If your son is unwell before leaving for school, we ask that he stays at home, the College does not have the facility to take care of unwell students long term in sick bay. If a student is unwell whilst at school, he should ask his class teacher for permission to go to the sick bay.  Students are asked not to ring home direct if they are unwell.  If the student is not well enough to return to class, a parent or the nominated emergency contact will be notified and asked to collect the student. The student will need to be signed out through the Sick Bay Register when collected. Please ensure you have notified the College of an emergency contact person in the event a parent cannot be contacted.

First Aid

If a student should require first aid, the class teacher or teacher on duty is to be informed and the injured student taken to Reception for treatment. If a College representative believes that an injury or illness is of a serious nature, an ambulance will be called.

Medication to Students

When students are required to take medication during school hours, parents are required to provide a signed letter with a suitable container, labelled with the student’s name, the dose and the time medication is to be taken. Medication will be stored and dispensed by the Office Manager and details will be recorded in the Student Diary. 
All students with special medical or health needs (i.e. anaphylaxis, asthma) must have a medical action plan signed by a medical practitioner (updated annually). For those students who require an Epipen (autoinjector), parents must provide one for the student to carry with him at all times and an additional Epipen to be stored at reception. Any queries please contact the Office Manager, on  5226 8113 or [email protected]

Return to New Student Information