Statement of Undertaking - Protecting Our Children
How precious is Your loving kindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. (Psalm 36:7)
All students enrolled at St Joseph’s College have the right to feel safe and be safe. The wellbeing of children in our care will always be our first priority and we do not and will not tolerate child abuse. We aim to create a child-safe and child-friendly environment where children are free to enjoy life to the full without any concern for their safety. There is particular attention paid to the most vulnerable children, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds, and children with a disability.
Our commitment to our students:
- We commit to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people enrolled in our school.
- We commit to providing children and young people with positive and nurturing experiences.
- We commit to listening to children and young people and empowering them by taking their views seriously, and addressing any concerns that they raise with us.
- We commit to taking action to ensure that children and young people are protected from abuse or harm.
- We commit to teaching children and young people the necessary skills and knowledge to understand and maintain their personal safety and wellbeing.
- We commit to seeking input and feedback from students regarding the creation of a safe school environment.
Our commitment to parents and carers:
We commit to communicating honestly and openly with parents and carers about the wellbeing and safety of their children.
We commit to engaging with, and listening to, the views of parents and carers about our child safety practice, policies and procedures.
We commit to transparency in our decision-making with parents and carers where it will not compromise the safety of children or young people.
We commit to acknowledging the cultural diversity of students and families, and being sensitive to how this may impact on student safety issues.
We commit to continuously reviewing and improving our systems to protect children from abuse.
Our commitment to our school staff:
- We commit to providing all St Joseph’s College staff with the necessary support to enable them to fulfill their roles. This will include regular and appropriate learning opportunities.
- We commit to providing regular opportunities to clarify and confirm policy and procedures in relation to child safety and young people’s protection and wellbeing. This will include annual training in the principles and intent of the Child Safety Policy and Child Safety Code of Conduct, and staff responsibilities to report concerns.
- We commit to listening to all concerns voiced by St Joseph’s College staff, clergy, volunteers, and contractors about keeping children and young people safe from harm.
- We commit to providing opportunities for St Joseph’s College school employees, volunteers, contractors and clergy to receive formal debriefing and counselling arising from incidents of the abuse of a child or young person.