Brother Richard Xavier Butler
Butler House

Butler House is named after the first Principal of St Joseph's College in 1935, which was Brother Richard Xavier Butler. He remained Principal until the end of 1940 and was the driving force behind the College in those early years. Brother Butler enjoyed his Golden Jubilee celebrations at the College in the newly constructed dining hall. His term in office came to an end after significant building work concluded which transformed St Joseph's into a first class boarding college for boys. A 'Butler Scholarship' was instigated in his honour. Brother Butler was a "kind and sympathetic man" who strongly promoted justice and peace, Brother Butler is represented by the dove with an olive branch on the House Crest.

< Return to College Houses